• Ovulation can occur within 4 to 6 weeks of delivery in women who are not breastfeeding.
• Hormonal preparation are safe in women breastfeeding (secretion in breast milk is minimal).
• Milk production can be affected in the early postpartum period with the use of combined contraceptive pill.
• Progesterone only pill (POP)/Progesterone only IUD are safe and can be started within 2 weeks of delivery.
• The combined oral contraceptive pill or POP can be commenced within 1-2 weeks in women who are not breastfeeding.
• Depo-Provera 150mg IM can be started after delivery.
• The intrauterine device can be inserted immediately (within 10 minutes) after the delivery of the placenta, because of the high risk of expulsion, it is typically inserted after 6 weeks.
• Tubal sterilization can be performed during Caesarean section, immediately postpartum after a vaginal delivery or as an interval procedure.
If you want to change selection, open original toplevel document below and click on "Move attachment"
|status||not read|| ||reprioritisations|
|last reprioritisation on|| ||suggested re-reading day|
|started reading on|| ||finished reading on|