So, here is the very simple workflow I’ve worked out, again.
1. Add a citation record to Zotero from any of the convenient methods discussed above and attach the searchable PDF document to it. Make sure the full text document carries the name of citation as opposed to a book review or audio file that may also be attached.
2. Click “send to tablet” on the PDF in Zotero. This sends the document to your cloud account under a specially designated ‘tablet readings’ folder.
3. Open the document from the cloud in a PDF annotation program like iAnnotate from your tablet or phone.
4. Joyfully read and annotate with highlighting, underlining, striking out, in text notes, etc.
5. When you finish reading, close the tablet and open Zotero on the computer and click the citation and choose “retrieve from tablet.” This saves the annotated doc, as well as a back up clean version in Zotero.
6. Finally, click “extract annotations” and Zotero extracts all the annotations with related page numbers and saves them as a separate note file which can also be viewed online at the Zotero website even without saving any PDFs to the site.